Pakapttan is a town of considerable antiquity, known as Gurva and then Ajudhan, before it was named as Pakpattan by the Mughal Emperor Akbar-e-Azam, due to sanctity of Shrine of the famous Mystic saint Hazrat Baba Farid-ud-Din Masood Ganj-e-Shaker (RA) of Chishtia Silsila. The city came into existence much before the invasion of Alexander the great, in 326 BC. It was considered as an important part of Indo-Pak civilization. It remained as important and flourished town during the Sultans and the Mughals. The famous traveler/explorer Ibn-e-Batuta crossed the river Satluj, at the point where Pakapttan is located, during the reign of Sultan Muhammad Bin Tughlaq (1325-51). During the British Rule Pakpttan gained status of Sub-Division and was Head Office of Colonial Administration of the area from Mandi Heera Singh, district Okara to Lodhran district. After Partition Pakpattam remained one of the major Sub-Divisions of Punjab till July 1990, when it was given status of District.Pakpattan is roughly 40 kilometers(25 mi) from the border of India.
Pakpattan is situated on the northern bank of River Satluj and falls within the area of Neili Bar.It was carved out from District Sahiwal on 01-07-1990 and was comprised of only one Sub-Division. In January 1995 Sub-Division Arifwala was also made part of Distrct Pakapttan.
The District Headquarters is situated on the main road connecting Multan with Qasur. The district is bounded by the river Satluj in the south, district Okara in the east, district Sahiwal in the north and District Vehari in the West. Presently, the district comprises of two Sub-Divisions Pakapattan and Arifwala and Sub-Tehsil Noor Pur. Other big towns are Bunga Hayat, Malka Hans, Qabula, Ahmad Yar and Muhammad Nagar.